Lee A. Bernstein
Nuclear Data Group, Lawrence Berkeley National Lab
B.A. (Physics) - Rutgers University, 1988
M.S. (Physics) – University of Maryland, 1990
Ph.D. (Nuclear Physics) – Rutgers University, 1994
Professor Bernstein is a staff scientist at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory and affiliate at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory. He leads the Data Evaluation for Applied Nuclear Science (DEANS) project at UC-Berkeley as a part of the US Nuclear Data Program and is an advisor to the Nuclear Data Services Section of the International Atomic Energy Agency. Dr. Bernstein’s research covers a wide range of nuclear and plasma physics including:
- Statistical properties of nuclear matter
- Nuclear physics in high energy density plasmas
- Neutron-induced reaction cross section measurements
- Surrogate nuclear reactions
Dr. Bernstein currently teaches the upper-level undergraduate/beginning graduate course sequence in nuclear physics (NE101-102). He has authored over 140 papers in low-energy nuclear physics and is an active referee for Physical Review and Nuclear Physics A.
- Directors Science and Technology Award for the Development of Gaseous and Solid Radchem at the National Ignition Facility - 10/2014
- Physics Division Award for Teaching Nuclear Physics in HED Plasmas – 10/2014
- Flint Foundation Sabbatical Grant – Yale University. 2003.
- Recipient of the Defense Programs Award of Excellence for Measurement of the 239Pu(n,2n) Cross Section238Pu, 2001.
- American Physical Society Committee on Membership. 2001-2003. Chair 2002-2003.
- Recipient of the DOE Defense Program Award for Measuring the 239Pu(n,2n)238Pu Cross Section for En< 20 MeV using GEANIE at LANSCE. - 2001
2014 Invited talks
- “Nuclear data activities and neutron science in the SF Bay Area”, 2nd Annual Peder Sather workshop on nuclear data needs for the Thorium Fuel Cycle. Berkeley, CA (12/8-10/14).
- “Introducing the UC-Berkeley component of the Bay Area Nuclear Data (BAND) Program”, Nuclear Data Week, Brookhaven Natl. Lab., Upton NY. (11/6/14)
- “The UC-Berkeley HED Plasma-Nuclear Science Program”. Fall meeting of the American Chemical Society, San Francisco, CA (8/10/14).
- “Bringing a Star to Earth”, Bakersfield Community College STEM seminar. Bakersfield, CA (4/9/14).
- “Could interactions between compound nuclear states and HEDPs change (n,g) rates?”. Workshop on High Energy Density Experiments Supporting National Security. LLNL. Livermore, CA (2/11/14).
- “Using high-power laser to probe the effects of HEDPs on (n,x) reactions rates”. Nuclear Science Frontier Explored by Ultra-high Power Lasers. University of Osaka, Osaka Japan (2/3/14).
- “Hot nuclei in Hot Plasmas in Stars and at the NIF”, University of Osaka Institute of Laser Engineering Seminar, Osaka, Japan (2/4/14).
- “The search for nuclear-plasma interactions in EBITS and laser-driven HED plasmas”. Workshop on the Applications of Highly Charged Ions. Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI (5/22-23/14).
- “Statistical nuclear properties for applied nuclear science”. Joint Town Hall meeting of the American Physical Society Division of Nuclear Physics and Astrophysics. Texas A&M University, College Station TX (8/21-22/14).
- Level densities and thermodynamical properties of Pt and Au isotopes, F. Giacoppo, FL Bello Garrote, LA Bernstein, DL Bleuel, TK Eriksen, RB Firestone, A Görgen, M Guttormsen, TW Hagen, BV Kheswa, M Klintefjord, PE Koehler, AC Larsen, HT Nyhus, T Renstrøm, E Sahin, S Siem, T Tornyi. Phys. Rev. C90, #5, 054330 (2014).
- Review of the National Ignition Campaign 2009-2012, J.D. Lindl et al., Physics of Plasmas, Vol. 21, #12, 129902 (2014).
- Photon Strength Function at Low Energies in 95Mo, M Wiedeking, LA Bernstein, JM Allmond, MS Basunia, DL Bleuel, JT Burke, P Fallon, RB Firestone, BL Goldblum, R Hatarik, M Krtička, PT Lake, AC Larsen, I-Y Lee, SR Lesher, S Paschalis, M Petri, L Phair, ND Scielzo, Nucl. Data Sheets 119, p. 258 (2014).
- Radiochemical determination of Inertial Confinement Fusion capsule compression at the National Ignition Facility, D.A. Shaughnessy et al., Rev. Sci. Instrum. 85 (6) 063508 (2014).
- Relative light yield and temporal response of a stilbene-doped bibenzyl organic scintillator for neutron detection. JA Brown, BL Goldblum, LA Bernstein, DL Bleuel, NM Brickner, JA Caggiano, BH Daub, GS Kaufman, R Hatarik, TW Phillips, SA Wender, K van Bibber, J Vujic, NP Zaitseva. Journal of Applied Physics 115 #19, 193504 (2014).
- Low Energy Neutron Measurements in High Energy Density Plasmas using the National Ignition Facility. L.A. Bernstein et al., Plasma and Fusion Research: Vol. 9, 4404101 (2014).
- Scissors resonance in the quasicontinuum of Th, Pa, and U isotopes. Guttormsen, M; Bernstein, LA; Görgen, A; Jurado, J; Siem, S; Aiche, M; Ducasse, Q; Giacoppo, G; Gunsing, F; Hagen, TW; Larsen, AC; Lebois, M; Leniau, B; Tenstrøm, T; Rose, SJ; Tornyi, TG; Tveten, GM; Wiedeking, M; Wilson, JN. Physical Review C89, #1, 014302 (2014).
- Constant-temperature level densities in the quasicontinuum of Th and U isotopes. Guttormsen. M; Jurado, B; Wilson, JN; Aiche, M; Bernstein, LA; Ducasse, Q; Giacoppo, F; Görgen. A; Gunsing, F; Hagen, TW; Larsen, AC; Lebois, M; Leniau, B; Renstrøm, T; Rose, SJ; Siem, S; Tornyi, T; Tveten, GM; Wiedeking, M, Physical Review C88.; #2, 024307 (2013).
- Progress towards ignition on the National Ignition Facility, Edwards, MJ et al., Physics of Plasmas, #20, 070501 (2013).
- Observation of Large Orbital Strength in Actinides, Guttormsen, M; Bernstein, LA; Burger, A; Görgen, A; Gunsing, F; Hagen, TW; Larsen, AC; Renstrøm, T; Siem, S; Wiedeking, M; Wilson, JN. Phys. Rev. Lett 109, 162503 (2012).
- Statistical g rays in the analysis of surrogate nuclear reactions. Scielzo, ND; Escher, JE; Allmond, JM; Basunia, MS; Beausang, CW; Bernstein, LA; Bleuel, DL; Burke, JT; Clark, RM; Dietrich, FS; Physical Review C85, #5, 54619 (2012).
- Determination of the deuterium-tritium branching ratio based on inertial confinement fusion implosions, Kim, Y. et al., Physical Review C85, #6, 61601, (2012).
- Indirect determination of neutron capture cross sections on spherical and near-spherical nuclei using the surrogate method, Goldblum, BL; Wiedeking, M.; Reed, T.; Alfonso, K.; Allmond, JM; Bernstein, LA; Bleuel, DL; Dietrich, FS; Hatarik, R.; Lake, PT; Physical Review C85, #5, 54616, (2012).
- Indirect (n, g) cross sections of thorium cycle nuclei using the surrogate method, Wilson, JN; Gunsing, F.; Bernstein, LA; Bürger, A.; Goergen, A.; Guttormsen, M.; Larsen, AC; Mansouri, P.; Renstrøm, T.; Rose, SJ; Physical Review C85, #3, 34607, (2012).
- Low-Energy Enhancement in the Photon Strength of 95Mo, Wiedeking, M.; Bernstein, LA; Krtička, M.; Bleuel, DL; Allmond, JM; Basunia, MS; Burke, JT; Fallon, P.; Firestone, RB; Goldblum, BL; Phys. Rev. Lett. 108, #16, 162503, (2012).